Head Office of the company I work for is on the 42nd floor of this beautiful building- The Al Hambra Tower, tallest building in Kuwait, and tallest sculpted concrete building in the world!
After a few days getting the school ready and meeting all the staff, tomorrow sees our Secondary pupils return, with the Primary, Reception and Kindergarten starting over the week. The playgrounds and corridors seem very quiet at the moment.
Spent a lovely couple of hours at Al Shaheed Park in the City. A completely man made oasis of lakes, ponds, greenery and dancing fountains! Actually built on a platform above its own car park- you can actually see through some of the ponds and waterfalls to the cars below which is a little odd. Nevertheless a lovely evening walk with lots to see and do, especially as the evening darkens and all the surrounding towers start to flicker and dance with light. Lots of very nice cafés and restaurants, with a couple of museums thrown in for good measure along with a 'Circle of Peace' and various monuments and an aviary. My evening finished off with the incredible dancing fountains, I caught a glimpse, walked over, got myself in position ready to film....just as it finished!!! What I saw was wonderful though, at least I have an excuse to go back.
Ok, so you've guessed by the title of this post that I'm a few days late in posting. Nevertheless, on Friday I went to the eponymously titled market. It's so big that no matter where you are in the country, if you get in a cab and say 'Friday Market' they know exactly where you mean. It's clearly evolved from some very traditional Middle Eastern market from years gone by, but still retains the charm of it's assumed original form, and the choice? My word, the choice!! There was very little that I didn't see for sale, it was vast and incredibly well organised. Where once were (I again assume) tarpaulins and canvas canopies there are now purpose built metal canopies covering section after section, metre after metre. There is a vast array of clothes, shoes, watches, sunglasses, purses, bags, wallets, perfumes, jewellery- all famous brands and designs- most of dubious authenticity, but the most convincing fakes I've ever seen. And this is just the f...
Comments
Post a Comment